Featuring the Big Dreamers, Believers, Creatives and Entrepreneurs.
The Life Lovers, Spirit Seekers and Thought Leaders.
The Everyday Inspiring women who are creating change in the world in a small or BIG way through their vision, lifestyle, and business.
Today’s Change Maker is the Gorgeous Ange Bowe from Empower Avenue.
I’ve had the pleasure of seeing Ange’s generosity + kindness that she has built her incredible brand upon. With passion + a heart of gold, Ange is paving her inspired path in the online world.
I am so excited to share this special soul with you and let her uplift and inspire you through her experiences + insights. Please welcome the lovely Ange Bowe…
What does living an inspired lifestyle mean to you?
To me, an inspired lifestyle means living a life that I have designed around activities that bring me joy and inspiration to live my best life.
A lifestyle where each day is lived from a place of love, intention and gratitude. Where there is a balance between work and play and value is placed on spending time connecting with likeminded inspiring people.
Where daily rituals become beautiful habits that support the development of a deep loving relationship with myself, spending time alone in stillness and tapping into my intuition.
How do you create change in your life and business?
In Life: if something doesn’t go the way I had hoped or I keep finding myself in similar situations, I always try and look for the lesson that needs to be learnt so I can step forward into growth, rather than get caught up in the negative spiral of the situation itself. I also find it helpful to either talk to a friend about it or spend some time journaling about it.
Changing the focus of the language I use to speak to myself by rephrasing the negative into a more positive statement is also important when I want to create change. As is showing gratitude for the situation itself and the process I followed to draw out the lessons
In Business: I have found the best way to create change is to dream big and step outside my comfort zone. I learnt some big lessons in the first 6 months of business, one of them being that things not going quite to plan is life’s way of telling you to go in a different direction. I was playing it way too small and safe!
What challenges have you faced along the way?
In Life: I suffered from depression for well over a decade following a very damaging relationship early on in my dating life. It’s something that has impacted every area of my life and deep rooted depression and self-loathing consumed my entire 20’s. Each day was a battle to keep up the happy facade until I could come home and completely fall apart. At the time, I thought that there was nothing I could do to change how I felt because its how my life had been for so long. I’m so happy I now know that not to be true.
In Business: my biggest challenge has been believing in myself and not letting the fear of what other people think affect how I show up and spread my message. Surrounding myself with supportive, inspiring people has been a game changer!
When did you first know you were meant for something more and how did you take the leap?
I first knew I was meant for something more once I had overcome my battle with depression. I was doing a lot of work on positive mindset and learning to love and value myself when one day everything clicked and I realised that I was the only one who had the power to create my own reality. I took a step back and looked at the bigger picture of the journey my life had taken. It was then I was able to stand in a place of complete acceptance that everything that had happened in my life up until that point had made me the person I am today. And I am grateful for it all. This quote explains it beautifully:
“When I look back I want to be able to see how my story propelled me forward. I want to be able to explain how the hurt and pain was exactly what I needed in order to grow and step into my greatest self”. Vienna Pharaon
I took the leap around 3 years ago when I decided to really dedicate my time to doing the inner work needed to figure out who I was and what I wanted in this life. It’s been an interesting journey and when I think back to the days when I felt like an empty shell of a person, I wish I could tell my past self to keep pushing forward. It eventually gets better and this life is definitely worth fighting for!
If you could change one thing in the world what would it be?
I would make it compulsory in every school for students from a young age to be taught topics such as: the importance of having a loving relationship with yourself, positive body image, having compassion for others, valuing your self worth, journaling, goal setting, building and nurturing authentic relationships, coping with criticism, resilience, gratitude, spending time in stillness, moving your body in a way that feels good for you, developing a healthy relationship with food and learning where our food comes from.
If you were to give one piece of advice to someone who is ready for more but holding back through fear of the unknown, what would it be?
This was me a year ago!!! My advice – engage the services of a life coach!
I was working in a corporate job, had an awesome boss and was earning good money, but the job was sucking the life out of me. I woke up with anxiety and I went to bed feeling unfulfilled and stressed out. In my spare time, I had been working on setting up my own business and everything was ready to launch, but I was gripped with so much fear of failing and worry about what others would think, to actually go ahead and launch it.
Following a life coaching session one morning, I walked into my boss’ office and quit with no job to go to. It was a massive risk and leap of faith into the unknown, but looking back it’s the best decision I could have made and it’s changed the course of my life for the better. I’ve now launched my business, have a part time job that is more aligned with the path my life has taken, opportunities have opened up to me that wouldn’t have otherwise and I have met the most beautiful women who inspire me daily.
Life coaching sessions gave me the tools to feel the fear and move through it, turn the volume down on my inner critic and turn the volume up on self belief, self confidence and the self love I already had within me. In the end I realised that staying in my safe corporate job was more risky than stepping out on my own to shine my light in this world.
I love this quote which is pinned on my wall above my desk – “You will either step forward into growth, or back into safety. It’s your choice.”
Is there a person or experience that inspired change in your life, if so who and/or what?
The 2 things that really inspired change in my life were:
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) did what 8 years of talking to psychologists could not in just 7 sessions! NLP accesses your unconscious mind where we store the patterns we have in our lives and enhances, changes or adjusts our behaviour, thought patterns and emotions to create the change needed.
- Learning to love and accept myself wholeheartedly for who I am right here, right now. It was key that I learnt the importance of seeking love and acceptance from within, rather than seeking it externally. And developing a daily routine that continually reminds me that I value myself, I am worthy and I am loved.
What are your top 3 ways to stay inspired?
- Gorgeous Life Coach, Connie Chapman, recently posted on social media “Deep within you is a calm, still space where love resides.” I made the decision a few months ago to practice meditation daily and these words really touched me as I reflected on how 20 minutes of meditation each day has impacted my life. I believe finding the time daily to connect within (however that looks for you ie. breathwork, meditation, mindfulness, yoga, walking in nature etc) alongside taking action to develop a deep self love for ourselves is an important foundation that will open our hearts and mind to seek out inspiration in the first place.
- Connect with other inspiring women on a daily basis, whether that is in person, via social media or a combination of both. Find your tribe and make consistent connection a top priority. Support each other through the ups and downs of life and business. Connect from a place of love and intention to inspire, motivate and build each other up. Connection is one of my core desired feelings for 2016 (for those that are fans of Danielle La Porte). So far this year, by consciously connecting with women I find inspiring, I can see a huge difference personally in how I feel within myself, how I approach my day and the opportunities that have presented themselves.
- Do one small thing each and every day that will propel you forward in life and business. Inspired action that will ensure you don’t turn around in 2 months time and feel as if you are still in the same spot in relation to your dreams, goals and anything you want to change. The difference between dreams and reality is action. It’s inspiring to know that over time I will be able to see personal growth in my life journey because each and every day I decided to show up and take action, no matter how small.
I absolutely loved connecting with Ange and getting to know all of these beautiful insights into her life and business. A couple of my biggest takeaways were:
Oh my goodness, where do I even start, there was so much depth + beauty to this interview, I loved it all.
- I loved how Ange spoke about changing her language towards herself + practicing gratitude are ways she has created change in her life + business.
- I couldn’t agree more that teaching children in school things like self love, self worth + tools to help them in these areas of life would absolutely change the world we are living in.
- The beautiful quote Ange shared and her experience with depression, resonated so deeply with me and I too believe it is when you can realise everything that has happened has led you to this point, your whole world changes.
I’d love to hear what your biggest takeaways or inspirations were from Ange’s interview? Please share away in the comments below.
You can get to know more about Ange + Empower Avenue over here
Oh and check out her gorgeous products here